Forest Today Sub-menu
Use the sub-menu below for selecting aspects of the Forest Today
This section describes the current management of the New Forest, Commoners' Rights, and the duties of the officers of the New Forest. Contact numbers and websites for tourist information are also available. I also offer some selected links and a bibliography. The pages are illustrated with monochrome photographs.
Links to the pages are in the sub-menu in the left column.
- What is a Commoner?; can anyone become a Commoner? What are the responsibilities of releasing stock into the Forest?
- What is Common of Mast, Turbary, Estovers, Marl? They were concessions won from the Crown centuries ago - but are they still practised?
- What are the responsibilities of the Verderers, Agisters, Forest Keepers?
- Balance and checks.....who represents the Commoners? Who represents the State?
- Some facts...but not too many.
- The land is largely owned by the Crown, and it is an agricultural workplace - can you wander where you wish to?
- What is the difference between an Inclosure and an Enclosure?....see the Glossary.
- How do I acquire tourist information on the Forest?
- What transport is there to the Forest, and within the Forest?
- Can I camp in the Forest?